Understanding people with liver disease

Buena Bariring was just 18 when she had the biggest surprise of her life: While applying for a job, the nurse in charge of her medical examination revealed to her that she tested positive for hepatitis B.

“That time, I did not know the impact of that finding. In fact, it surprised me considering that since childhood, I was never seriously ill or felt anything wrong with me,” Bariring said.

It was the start of her ordeal as she found out that having hepatitis B was like being handed a death sentence. “I can’t continue my studies as I have no money. But then, I can’t land a decent job because of my health condition. The few companies who hired me assigned me to a job where I would have the least human contact,” lamented Bariring who is now a member of Yellow Warriors Society Philippines, an organization dedicated to fighting all forms of discrimination against hepatitis B and C carriers, and diminishing suffering from them through advocacy, research, education and service.


Read more: http://business.inquirer.net/192413/understanding-people-with-liver-disease#ixzz3azgrXKgq

Labels: , , , ,